Confinement Day 0.5 in France


(Sorry, forgot to post last night, so I'm posting this article today, which is Day 2 of confinement.)

As the President of the French Republic, Emmanuel Macron, announced, we are going under the confinement of at least 2 weeks in order to slow the propagation of the Coronavirus. Great! I guess...?

In his discourse last night,  it was clear that the decision was taken due to the fact people are going to parks and markets despite the recommendation from the government to refrain from going out and gathering with friends and family members. Earlier in the day, the news showed people getting together in parks and markets in Paris to show the "resistance" to the President's order to stay inside (or maybe just to enjoy the sun?). Some bars and restaurants decided not to follow the orders, too.

So, the consequence is severe. Now, we cannot go out without a written document certifying that we need to go grocery shopping, go to the pharmacy, see a doctor, etc. 

It makes me think about what freedom is, la liberté as the French (and other francophones) call it. Is it doing whatever you want?

This question was on my mind prior to the news and the Presidential order for reinforced confinement but subsequently to a presentation given by two of my classmates in English class. Their topic was capital punishment for serial killers or international terrorists. They exposed very thoroughly the arguments of for and against. 

It is a pretty common public opinion that if you kill someone or many people, for that matter, you deserve a death penalty. Because being deprived of freedom is not severe enough. But is it, really? I think we have to think about what freedom really is.

I still don't know the answer to it. And I have to sit on my thoughts to be able to write about it.

Sidenote, my Latin language professor was going to talk about Liberté in the next class but it was unfortunately canceled due to the Coronavirus situation. He is going to send us materials by email so I'm looking forward to hearing the conception of freedom in the Roman era. 

I'll keep you updated on my thoughts.

I hope you are all well. And thank you always for reading. See you soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's in My Bag? Law Student in France

Living abroad could be stressful... 3 tips for keeping your mind healthy

Why I decided to stay in France during Coronavirus lockdown (Confinement Day 10 in France)