Confinement Day 8 in France: concentrating on reading to fight anxiety


Today was a reading day. I read an anthology of short stories written by a Japanese author Yoko Ogawa (not Yoko Ono) and half of a law-related book. The latter is not directly related to my studies but I had bought it because it seems interesting while I was back in Japan last summer. I had been too busy with my studies in French university since the beginning of this academic year that I haven't had a chunk of time dedicated to the book to get through it until now. I finally have some time to read it now due to confinement. 

The book is called International Criminal Tribunal by NGOs by Professor Akira Maeda and I started reading it from the beginning because I didn't remember exactly where I was in the book. It is very interesting and I cannot wait to read the whole book.

Some parts could be used as revisions of my international public law course. But what I'm doing in classes are basics and it was introduced as fundamental notions to help the author to carry out his theories and discussion. I have already read some of the books written by Professor Maeda, and I appreciate his clear and logical explanation that would leave no reader behind in his sometimes complex reasonings. For this reason, the explanations of bases in the book I am currently reading helped me profoundly in my comprehension of the course that I am taking. 

I set myself a goal to read this book about international criminal tribunals by NGOs as well as another book of Professor Maeda about hate speech law (the book is entitled Introduction to Hate Speech Act and it's about 800 pages long...), which I took from my mother's bookshelf while I was back in Japan (Hi mom, if you are reading this, I have your book!). 

My mother has many interesting books. I usually take some for me to read. I tell her of course that I took them in case you're wondering... She's a chemistry Ph.D. who reads law books among others for her "light reading".

Also, I'm planning to study Japanese law during this confinement since I have relatively free time (I still have an enormous amount of work from my French university and I still have to study for the exams which the dates are yet to be known). I think it will be useful in the future.

Reading helps me not to think too much about what is happening in the outside world that I do not have control over. I concentrate on what I can do now and built multiple mini-successes to feel a sense of accomplishment in order to keep my spirit high in this uncertain time.

Thanks always for reading. Tell me about the recent books you have read! Stay healthy and take care.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's in My Bag? Law Student in France

Living abroad could be stressful... 3 tips for keeping your mind healthy

Why I decided to stay in France during Coronavirus lockdown (Confinement Day 10 in France)